This portal addresses various topics relevant to the elderly, including benefits, health, leisure and welfare, employment options etc. Naturally these pages will also relate to specific populations such as Holocaust survivors, Prisoners of Zion etc. Another important topic is the explanation of the legal tools and options available to protect the senior including the ability to make advance decisions in preparation for a situation in which the person may be unable to express his own will.
Important: If you think you are too young for this portal, it is recommended that you visit the Senior Citizens and Pensioners (Golden Years) portal.
Pensions and Benefits
Guides for Claiming Rights
- Click here for a full list of government agencies responsible for issues related to old age and aging
- Main government agencies:
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center|
| The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
|Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701||Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website]||The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.|
|The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450||Population and Immigration Authority website||Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.|
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of court rulings which are relevant for the elderly and senior citizens
Laws & Regulations
- The Senior Citizens Law
- The Retirement Age Law
- The National Insurance Law
- The Long-Term Care Insurance Law
- The Patient's Rights Law
- The Wards Protection Law
- The Supervision of Institutional Residences Law
- Amendment 26 to the Penal Law - "The Protection of Minors and the Helpless Law"
- The Family Violence Prevention Law
- The Prevention of Stalking Law
- The Victims of Crimes' Rights Law
- The Inheritance Law
- The Dying Patient Law
- The Legal Capacity and Guardianship Law
- Senior Citizens' Guide - rights, benefits and information for senior citizens in Israel from the Office for Social Equality (in Hebrew, Arabic and Russian).
- Database of information regarding services provided to the elderly in Israel - Eshel website- Joint Israel
- Database of legal rights provided to the elderly in Israel - - Eshel website- Joint Israel
- Mashav - Database of national planning for the elderly
- The National Insurance Institute Counseling Service for the Elderly: Hagil Hachadash newspaper
- Law, Aging, and Justice - The blog of Dr. Israel (Issy) Doron, which deals with promoting the rights of the elderly in Israel
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.