Beginning from 01.04.2015, those who receive a Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) and who require a tracheostomy throughout the day, should be entitled to an additional benefit.
- This supplement is paid instead of the "long term care benefit" that is given to those eligible but the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services.
- The amount of the supplement is 1,823 NIS, as of 2018.
Who is Eligible?
- Someone who is "ventilated with a tracheostomy" and receive a Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) at the highest rate (188%).
- One who receives a decreased benefit because of his/her income is eligible for the supplement if it is established that he/she is completely dependent on someone else.
===Definition of disabled due to being "Ventilated with a Tracheostomy"
- A person who who continuously needs, at all hours of the day and night, a respirator that replaces the natural action of breathing.
- The definition does not include those who require oxygen generators (such as c-pap, bipap) or devices that assist in autonomic breathing, but only those who require a machine that stopping its operation without immediate treatment will stop the patient's breathing and endanger his/her life.
How to Claim It?
- For someone who does not yet receive a Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance), eligibility for the supplement will be evaluated when the claim for the Special Services Benefit is submitted.
- Someone who receives the Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) and is ventilated by a tracheostomy, but does not receive the supplement, is eligible to submit a request for the supplement by submitting a Request form to be reconsidered to receive Special Services Benefit.
- The claim/request should have a letter attached from the treating doctor (including a family doctor) and should include the following details:
- indications for ventilation
- type of machine
- date that regular ventilation was started
- The documents will be given to a certified doctor to determine eligibility without the presence of the patient.
- In cases that the documentation is unclear or insufficient, a home visit may be done to verify the information.
- According to the decision of the certified doctor, the claim clerk will determine if the person is considered a "disabled ventilated person" and accordingly whether or not he/she is eligible for the supplement.
- The decision that a person is not considered a "disabled ventilated person" can be appealed to the [[:he:בתי הדין האזוריים לעבודה
|Local District Labor Courts]].
- Legal Aid for National Insurance Institute issues may be requested from the Ministry of Justice without any financial conditions.
- Kol Haneshima
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of organizations offering assistance and support for people with disabilities, click here.
Laws and Regulations
National Insurance Institute Circular from 05.08.2015 - raising the amounts of the special services and disabled child benefits and adding an additional supplement for ventilated disabled persons, in accordance with the updated minimum wage amount (section 4).
- The National Health Insurance Law - section 9.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.