A pregnant woman is entitled to receive public services without waiting in line.
- A public service is any service provided to the public or a part of the public, face to face, by a public authority or in a public place.
Authorities considered to be "Public Authorities"
- A government office.
- A city municipality or local council.
- A corporation established by a law, such as: The National Insurance Institute, Yad Va'shem, Yad Yitzchak Ben Tzvi, The Israel Broadcasting Corporation, The Public Parks Authority.
- A government company, a mixed ownership corporation and a government subsidiary such as: The Israel Electric Company, Israel Railways, Beit Hatfutsot and The Israel Museum.
- The Jewish Agency for Israel
- Health Plans - Community Medicine (Kupot Cholim)
- Any body controlled such as a factory, institution, fund or other body supported directly or indirectly by the government.
Places considered to be "Public Places"
- Banks, post offices.
- Movie theaters, theaters, halls, stadiums.
- Galleries, museums, libraries.
- Places where public transportation tickets are sold.
- Memorial site, national parks and nature reserves.
- Large supermarkets (with sales area of at least 250 meters).
Who is Eligible?
- All pregnant woman.
How to Claim It?
- The right should be given upon the woman's request.
- The service provider is permitted to ask the woman to show documents proving that she is pregnant before granting her the right.
- If this right is violated, the woman may submit a complaint to the relevant authority. For more information see Complaints and Appeals.
When is the right not applicable?
- In any of the following situation:
- A case of medical treatment.
- When the wait is in a line of vehicles.
- When an appointment can be made in advance.
- A person with disabilities or a senior citizen above age 80 who are entitled to public services without waiting will received priority over a pregnant woman.
Laws and Regulations
- The Women's Equal Rights Law - section 6e
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.