A sign language interpreter may be used to assist deaf or hearing impaired parents or children at an expulsion hearing
Parents are entitled to bring their own interpreter
See Section 3.3.10 of Ministry of Education Director Circular 5772/6(a)
If either the student or a parent is deaf or has hearing impairment, a sign language interpreter or someone else who has mastery over sign language must be invited to the expulsion hearing. Parents are entitled to bring their own interpreter.
Who is Eligible?
- Deaf or hearing impaired parents and students.
How to Claim It?
- An interpreter should be invited by the educational institution to the expulsion hearing automatically.
- Upon receiving notification regarding the expulsion hearing, it is recommended to verify with the educational institution if an interpreter has been invited to the hearing.
- Parents may bring their own interpreter.
- Click here for comprehensive information regarding legal rulings related to education.
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of aid organizations related to education.
Laws and Regulations
- The Student's Rights Law - Sections 6-8
- The Special Education Law - Sections 3-4, 7
- The Student's Rights Regulations (Publication of Provisions and Expulsion of a Student), 5762-2002 (on the Nevo website) - Sections 4-6
- The Compulsory Education Regulations (Rules for Permanent Expulsion of a Student from an Educational Institution due to Academic Performance), 5764-2004 (on the Nevo website) - Sections 2-5
- Equal Opportunities for Every Child in Israel - A Rights Booklet from the Center for the Advancement of Equal Opportunities in Education is available in the following languages:
- Growth and effectiveness measures for schools (GEMS) report according to local authority on the Ministry of Education's National Authority for Measurement and Evaluation website
- Ministry of Education Director Circular 5772/6(a) from 01.02.2012 - Procedures for permanent expulsion of a student from an educational institution and transfer to another educational institution
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.