Many Israelis today purchase private health insurance in addition to state health insurance and supplementary insurance, in case they need special medical treatments, medications that are not in the basket of medicines, surgery abroad, etc.
When purchasing an insurance policy, relations are established between the policyholder and the insurance company. This is a contract between two parties, but it is not unregulated - the "Insurance Contract Law" requires that the policy comply with certain conditions specified in this portal. Here you will find answers to questions about using private insurance for things such as dental treatments, surgeries, transplants, medical procedures abroad, etc., as well as the process of purchasing a policy, payment of insurance fees, cancellation of the contract, etc.
Please note: Before you purchase private health insurance, you should check your National Health Insurance and Supplemental Insurance coverage (if you have one) to avoid duplication. The comparison can be done on the Har HaBituach website.
Coverage by Private Health Insurance
- Insurance on surgeries in Israel and abroad as part of private health insurance
- Implant insurance as part of private health insurance
- Medication insurance as part of private health insurance
- Insurance for severe illness as part of private health insurance
- Dental treatment insurance as part of private health insurance
- Personal accident insurance as part of private health insurance
Purchasing and Renewing Insurance
- Purchasing Private Health Insurance (Private and Group)
- Private Insurance Coverage for the Worsening of an Existing Medical Condition
- Prohibition from asking for Genetic Information from Someone Purchasing and Insurance Policy
- Notifying the Policyholder of Renewal and Changes of his Personal Health Insurance Policy
- Consent of the Policyholder for Automatic Renewal of his Personal Health Insurance Policy
- Consent of the Policyholder for Renewal of a Group Health Insurance Policy
- Notifying the Policyholder of Changes in his Group Health Insurance Policy
Obligations of the person being insured
Receiving benefits from the insurance company
Canceling and stopping the insurance
People with Disabilities
Complaints and Appeals
Long-Term Care Insurance
Non-private health insurance
Laws & Regulations
- Insurance Contract Law - 1981
- Financial Services Regulations (Insurance) (Insurance Contract Conditions) - 1981
- Financial Services Regulations (Insurance) (Group Health Insurance) - 2009
- Regulations on Overseeing Insurance Transactions (Policy Make-up and Conditions) -1980
- Information on Purchasing Health Insurance - on the Ministry of Finance website.
- Guide to Health Insurance on the Capital Market Authority website.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project.