According to The Equal Rights for People with Disabilities Law, public transportation service providers must treat all passengers equally and are therefore forbidden from discriminating against people due to a disability.
- Additionally, it is forbidden to charge more for a service or accommodation required by law.
- Service providers are forbidden from discriminating against passengers in the following ways:
- 1. By refusing to allow someone with disabilities to utilize the transportation services.
- 2. By establishing conditions which prevent or limit usage of the transportation services.
- Public transportation providers include any company or individual that transports passengers. The main transportation providers are bus companies (such as Egged, Dan companies, and private companies) and drivers, Israel Railways, and private transportation providers such as taxi cabs, rental car companies, etc.
Who is Eligible?
- Every person whomeets the requirements of having a disability.
Reporting Incidents of Discrimination
- If a service provider has discriminated against a passenger due to a disability, the incident should be reported to the Public Applications Unit of The Commission for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- When submitting a complaint, make sure to indicate important details regarding the incident, including the service provider (Egged, Dan, name of the taxi company, etc.); the line number (if relevant); location, time and description of the incident.
- A complaint may also be submitted to the transportation provider itself or to the Ministry of Transportation. For more information see Submitting a Complaint to a Public Transportation Provider (Buses and Taxis)
- Taxi drivers are not allowed to charge additional fees to transport a wheelchair. For more information see Exemption from Paying for Transporting a Wheelchair in a Taxi
- Taxi drivers are not required to make their vehicles wheelchair accessible.
- The Commission for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- The Ministry of Transportation
- The National Public Transportation Authority - Real-time information and problem solving *8787
- The Ministry for Social Equality
- Israel Consumer Council
Laws and Regulations
- Transportation Eligibility and Rights for People with Disabilities - a guide published by Bizchut and JDC Israel.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.