The Kuport Cholim are responsible for providing psychotherapy treatment and it is included in the healthcare basket.
- The most common form of treatment is personal one on one treatment between the therapist and the client. There are also group, family and couple treatment frameworks.
- In accordance with the Ministry of Health circular from 18.05.2015, following the mental health reform, beginning on 01.07.2015 mental health care is provided in Kupat Cholim mental health clinics, Ministry of Health clinics or other clinics that the Kupat Cholim is connected with.
- With a co-payment, one can also receive services through independent therapists through the kupot cholim.
- For more information on the kupot cholim websites see:
Who is Eligible?
- Insured individuals whose mental health situation require treatment.
How to Claim It?
- You can reach the clinic via a family doctor or through the Kupat Cholim call center. It is recommended to contact the clinic close to where you live.
- Click here for a list of mental health clinics on the Ministry of Health website.
- According to the Ministry of Health circular from 18.05.2015, mental health services are provided free of charge, except for in the following cases where co-payments are required:
- A visit to a psychiatrist has the same kupat cholim payment policy as a visit to a secondary care doctor (one payment every 3 months).
- A visit to a general hospital psychiatric outpatient clinic has the same kupat cholim payment policy as visiting an outpatient clinic (one payment every 3 months).
- For psychotherapy treatments given by independent therapists (including psychiatrists) the cost is based on the rates established for these services by the Kupot Cholim, up to the maximum established deductible amount (which is changed from time to time). The maximum deductible amounts beginning 18.07.2016 (and correct through April 2017) are:
- For the first treatment: 57 NIS
- After the first treatment: 136 NIS
- For group therapy: 62 NIS
- Discounts, exemptions, and rules that apply to these collection plans are the same as the ones regarding the deductible to see a secondary care doctor and an outpatient clinics in the field of psychiatry.
- Check with the Kupat Cholim is you need a referral or guarantee (tofes 17) form.
- For more information regarding payment for various insurances in the kupot cholim, see the Ministry of Health website
- In cases where the psychotherapy is provided in mental health clinics, as part of the clinical services, the treatments can only be performed by the following professionals:
- A psychiatrist or doctor in a recognized internship program.
- A clinical psychologist or psychologist in a recognized field of clinical psychology.
- A social worker certified as a mental health practitioner or a social worker in a recognized mental health specialization program.
- For more information, see Mental Health Care in the Kupot Cholim
- People suffering from mental issues due to illness or physical disability are entitled to psychological treatment and diagnosis from rehabilitative or medical psychologists.
- The right to receive this treatment is not part of the mental health reform, is not conditional on diagnosis by a psychiatrist, and is an inseparable part of the medical treatment under the responsibility of the kupat cholim.
- For more information see Emotional Support through the Kupot Cholim for those Sick and Disabled (Psychological, Medical and Rehabilitative Treatment).
Laws and Regulations
- Co-payments for Psychotherapy Treatments - Ministry of Health spokesperson message from 07.05.2012.
- A position paper by the Ombudsman, regarding eligibility for psychotherapy in the kupot cholim
- The original information for this page was written by the Israeli Medical Association.
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.