New immigrants without housing are entitled to public housing for 15 years from the day they immigrated to Israel
If you are eligible for public housing, you can be updated about your place in the line for receiving an apartment by the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption
For information see the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption website
New immigrants without housing may be entitled to public housing from the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption for 15 years from the day they immigrated to Israel.
Who is Eligible?
- New Immigrants (Olim) who meet the conditions of being someone without housing, who are have valid Certificates of Eligibility for Public Housing.
Period of Eligibility for Assistance with Public Housing as Olim
- In light of government decision no.4433 the period of eligibility for olim who immigrated on 01.11.1997 and after was extended from 10 to 15 years from their date of immigration. For more details see the Ministry of Construction and Housing notice.
- After the end of this period, those olim who meet the criteria of the eligibility definitions of the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption will be transferred to the care of the Ministry of Construction and Housing who will examine the eligibility for housing in accordance with its procedures.
Unlimited Period of Eligibility for Assistance with Public Housing
- The following olim communities enjoy an unlimited period of eligibility for assistance with public housing and the handling of their affairs continues to be under the responsibility of the Ministry of Absorption:
- Olim senior citizens who made aliyah to Israel from 01.09.1989 onwards - provided that on the application date they fell within definition of a senior citizen (men above the age of 67 and women above the age of 64 living on an Old Age Pension plus Income Support or from a Disability Pension).
- The only child of a senior citizen oleh who was in Israel for more than 10 years and joined to the eligibility of their parents before 30.04.2008.
- Olim with Disabilitues who have been in Israel for more than 10 years and whose eligibility has been approved by the exceptions committee for residence prior to 30.04.2008.
- Olim who have been in Israel for more than 10 years, living in public housing and the exceptions committee has approved their change of residence prior to 30.04.2008.
How to Claim It?
- The process of getting public housing is made up of the following steps:
Residents are entitled to various Public Housing Repairs while they live there]]
- To receive an apartment from public housing you must pass three stages:
Laws and Regulations
- Ministry of Immigration and Absorption procedure no. 5.084 from 01.01.2009 - Eligibility and Allocation of Public Housing for New Immigrants.
- Tenants Rights Law in Public Housing
- Tenants Protection Law
- Ministry of Construction and Housing Procedure No.08/17 Dated 18.06.2009 - Procedure of the public Committee for Appeals on Housing Matters.
- Ministry of Construction and Housing Procedure No.08/05 Dated 18.07.2007 - Procedures for the Allocation of Public Housing.
- For the expanded value on the subject of aid organizations for public housing and accommodation Click Here.
- For a List of aid organizations for olim hadashim which also help on housing matters Click Here.
- Utilizing Rights in Public Housing and Rent Assistance - Information booklet on behalf of the Ministry of Construction and Housing.
- Rights Guide for Public Housing Residents in Urban Renewal Projects - on the Ministry of Construction and Housing website.
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.