Olim holding a valid oleh certificate, defined as being without an apartment and who are during the period of eligibility of housing as an Oleh - may be eligible for public housing from the Ministry of the Absorption
If you are eligible for public housing, you can be updated about your place in the line for receiving an apartment on the Waiting list published by the Ministry of Absorption
For information see the Website of The Ministry of Immigration and Absorption
Who is Eligible?
- New Immigrants (Olim) who comply with all the following conditions:
Period of Eligibility for Assistance with Public Housing as Olim
- The period of eligibility for all Olim is 15 years from the date of receiving oleh status, or eligibility as an oleh.
- After the end of this period, those olim who meet the criteria of the eligibility definitions of the Ministry of Absorption will be transferred to the care of the Ministry of Construction and Housing who will examine the eligibility for housing in accordance with its procedures.
Unlimited Period of Eligibility for Assistance with Public Housing
- The following oleh communities enjoy an unlimited period of eligibility for assistance with public housing and the handling of their affairs continues to be under the responsibility of the Ministry of Absorption:
- Olim senior citizens who made aliyah to Israel from 01.09.1989 onwards - provided that on the application date they fell within definition of a senior citizen (men above the age of 67 and women above the age of 64 surviving on an Old Age Pension plus Income Support or from a Disability Pension).
- The spouse of an individual senior citizen oleh in Israel for more than 10 years and joined to the eligibility of their parents up to 30.04.2008.
- Disabled Olim who have been in Israel for more than 10 years and whose eligibility has been approved by the exceptions committee for residence prior to 30.04.2008.
- Olim who have been in Israel for more than 10 years, living in public housing and the exceptions committee has approved their change of residence prior to 30.04.2008.
How to Claim It?
- To receive an apartment from public housing you must pass three stages:
- Obtain a certificate of eligibility.
- File an application for public housing.
- Actual receipt of the apartment.
The Obtaining of a Certificate of Eligibility
- The receiving of an apartment in public housing is conditional on the presenting of a valid Certificates of Eligibility for Public Housing from the Ministry of Construction and Housing and the Ministry of Absorption and Immigration.
- All family members registered in the same Oleh certificate and requesting joint housing assistance will be recorded in the certificate.
- A certificate of eligibility is issued for a given period of time, for the most part - one year only - and subject to the period of eligibility as an Oleh.
- For the issuing of a certificate of eligibility, you must turn to one of the Populating Companies or to one of the Companies Providing Services to People Seeking Rent Assistance and you must present the following documents:
- Oleh's certificate.
- Identity card.
- Confirmation of service in the IDF.
- For families - a marriage certificate.
- For further information see: The Obtaining of a Certificate of Eligibility for Public Housing.
Filing an application for public housing
- After receiving a certificate of eligibility you must approach Companies Providing Services to People Seeking Rent Assistance.
- For further information see Filing an Application for Public Housing.
Actual receipt of the apartment
- After filing the application to receive an apartment and should the application be approved, the applicant joins the waiting line for the apartment.
- There are a number of types of waiting lines (in accordance with the type of public housing): ordinary, old aged, Property Procurement Apartments for the Disabled and apartments on lower floors.
- The waiting line is calculated automatically, inter alia in accordance with the following: Date of aliyah, the settlement town, the size of the apartment and the number of family members.
- The following segments of the population are entitled to have their waiting line for an apartment shortened by one year: Camps and Ghettos Survivors,World War 2 Veterans and war invalids.
- For the expanded value on the subject of aid organizations for public housing and accommodation Click Here.
- For a List of aid organizations for olim hadashim which also help on housing matters Click Here.
Laws and Regulations
- Tenants Rights Law in Public Housing
- Tenants Protection Law
- Ministry of Construction and Housing Procedure No.08/17 Dated 18.06.2009 - Procedure of the public Committee for Appeals on Housing Matters.