In certain cases, someone may be entitled to income support benefits without having to go to an employment services office
For more information, see the National Insurance Institute website

As a general rule, one of the conditions for receiving income support is going to the unemployment office.

  • There are certain circumstances in which a person can get an exemption from the obligation to go to the employment office in order to get the income support.

Who is Eligible?

  • The exemption from going to the employment office is given to someone who meets the criteria for income support benefits eligibility and one of the following situations applies to him/her:

Work at a Low Salary

  • One whose work income is less than the income support amount established by his/her personal circumstances and who fits into one of the following work populations:
    • supermarket cashiers that work 36 hours a week
    • care-givers for children who work 25 hours a week
    • household workers who work 25 hours a week
    • care-givers for the elderly who work 20 hours a week
    • care-givers for 3 elderly charges

Someone Opening a Business

  • Someone who is opening his/her own business and meets the following two conditions:
  1. He/she receives professional advisement to open the business from the Ministry of Economy and Industry (for example through Maof Services) or through a vocational program run by JDC Israel or another recognized organization that helps people open new businesses.
  2. He/she works 20 hours a week and has a monthly income of at least 4,953 NIS or works 12 hours a week and has a month income of at least 1,485 NIS.
  • The exemption from going to the employment office is in effect for a year from the the time the business is opened and he/she is registered as self-employed with the National Insurance Institute.


  • Medical documentation indicating the week of pregnancy is required.


  • A parent of a child below the age of 2.
  • The couple (including a same sex couple) can choose which one of them is eligible.
    • They must fill out a "choice of parent for the purposes of exemption from going to the employment office" form (the form may be submitted until the child is 1 year and 9 months).
    • The choice goes into effect on the first of the month after the National Insurance Institute receives the signed form.
  • The couple may switch their choice, but if the other spouse appeared at the unemployment office they must stay with their decision for at least 6 months.
  • A father who fully cares for a child under the age of 7 because his wife is sick or hospitalized (on condition that the mother also meets the income support eligibility conditions and they are assessed as a couple).

Single Parents

  • A single parent (including a father who is married but separated from his spouse), who has sole custody over a child below the age of 2.
  • A single parent that studies (not including a second or third degree) at least 30 hours a week, or works and studies together for a total of 30 hours a week (as of 01.01.2018).


  • If a foster family cares for a child below the age of 7 (not including partial foster care that is only some hours a day).


  • A patient who is unable to work more than 30 consecutive days due to temporary illness, accident, surgery, or because his/her eligibility for General Disability Pension is being evaluated.
  • Required Documents: medical documentation of the disease and the period of time during which the patient is unable to work.
  • Period of Eligibility: Any time the patient is not able to work and not exceeding six months.


  • One whose Degree of Incapacity is at least 75%
  • One who receives General Disability Pension as a homemaker with disabilities (there is entitlement to disability pension to supplement income, if there is no additional income within the family).

Caring for a sick family member

  • One who cares for a family member including a spouse, child (including an child or a child in foster care), or a parent, in which the patient requires constant supervision. This is on condition that the caretaker lives with the patient in the same residence, and is caring for the patient most of the day, at least 45 consecutive days before filing the claim.
  • Required Documents: medical documentation of the need for constant supervision and a time period in which the patient requires that supervision. If the person being cared for is a child then a declaration of absence because of a child's illness form must also be submitted.
  • The period of eligibility is usually up to 6 months.
  • The eligibility period may be extended to longer than 6 months in the following cases:
    • A child who receives Disabled Child Benefit and who has one parent taking care of him/her (this should be cited in the initial claim). If the parents live together, one of them is exempt from going to the employment office. The the parents live separately, the exemption is only for the parent that has custody.
    • Care for a sick father 65 years and older or for a sick mother 60 years and older.
  • Entitlement does not apply in the following cases:
    • A parent who cares for his/her sick child when the spouse of that parent is categorized by the Employment Service as one who is ineligible for employment or has reached retirement age (unless the child is admitted in a hospital), or if the spouse is classified as a single parent (as recorded above in "Parenting").
    • In a case where the patient receives Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance).
    • In a case where another person receives a benefit stipend for the patient's care.

Retirement Age

  • One who has reached retirement age, filed a claim for old age pension and that claim was rejected.
  • A woman married to a man that has reached retirement age.
  • A woman who was married to a man that reached retirement age before he passed away is exempt from going to the unemployment office for 6 months after his passing.

Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Those in a center for vocational rehabilitation or in a vocational rehabilitation provided by the National Institute or Authority for Prisoner Rehabilitation, or in a rehabilitation framework of a government office and the majority of the hours of the day are dedicated to rehabilitation.
  • Required Documents: confirmation of active participation in the rehabilitation process.
  • Period of Eligibility: The entire period in which the person is in rehabilitation..


Women in a Battered Women's Shelter

  • A woman who is in a battered women's shelter may be eligible for income support.
  • Beginning on 01.06.2017, an Israeli citizen (including temporary residents) who anticipate staying in a battered women's shelter for more than 30 days are eligible to submit an income support claim even if they were not eligible for income support before entering the shelter.
    • The claim may be submitted after 25 days in the shelter and assistance in filing the claim is provided by the shelter's staff.
    • Eligibility for the benefit (in accordance with the conditions) is given within a month from when the forms were received by the National Insurance Institute office on condition that during that month the woman will have reached 30 days in the shelter.
  • A woman who received income support for at least a month before entering the shelter is eligible for income support during her time in the shelter even if she is there for less than a month.
  • For more information see National Insurance Institute and the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services Circular

Supervisor of House Arrest

  • Those supervising a child or spouse under house arrest.
  • Period of eligibility: As long as this condition is met.

House Arrest or Community Service

  • Convicts under house arrest for whom a court order has determined the period of time in which they must be under house arrest.
    • Period of eligibility: As long as this condition is met.
  • Convicts performing community service.
    • Documentation from the Prison Service is required.
    • Period of eligibility: As long as the convict is performing the community service.

Released Prisoners

  • Released prisoners following incarceration of at least 6 consecutive months, as long as they submit the claim within two months of the month in which they were released.
  • Documentation from the prison is required.
  • Period of eligibility:
    • 2 months for one who submitted the claim in the month he/she was released or in the first month after the release
    • 1 month for those who submitted the claim in the second month after release.
  • For more information see: Income Support for Released Prisoners.

Alcohol, Drugs and People who are Homeless

Unexpected Disaster

  • Those in serious hardship due to a disaster or an unexpected event (such as the death of a family member or house fire).
    • The period of eligibility is at the discretion of the claims' clerk; and up to two months.


  • An abandoned or orphaned child, for more information see Benefits to an orphaned or abandoned child.
  • A child whose parent is not a resident of Israel and the other parent, who retains Israeli residency, is under arrest or imprisoned.
    • Required documentations: Report from the welfare services or other responsible party. Documentation from the Prison Authority regarding the parent who is an Israeli resident, including the date the prison sentence ends and the release date after 2/3 of the period.

How to Claim It?

  • At the time that the claim for income support is submitted, the circumstances for the exemption request should be included.
  • The relevant documentation and approvals should be attached to the claim.
  • In cases where the request is approved, the person will not have to present him/herself at the employment office.

Government Agencies

Laws and Regulations