Parents with deafness and hearing impairment are entitled to receive a reimbursement for the purchase of baby monitors for children under age 3
The reimbursement amount is up to 90% of the cost of the purchase up to a maximum of 1,075 NIS (as of January 2017)
For further information see the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
Parents with hearing impairment are entitled to receive a reimbursement for the purchase baby monitors for children under 3 years old.
- The parents must pay at least 10% of the total cost of purchase out of pocket, - the reimbursement amount is up to 90% of the cost of the purchase, up to 5 tax credit points (1,075 NIS as of January 2017).
- The entitlement may only be claimed once per family.
Who is Eligible?
- Parents meeting both of the following conditions:
- Have hearing loss of at least 50 dB in the better ear
- Have a child under age 3
- One who received a refund for the purchase of a fax machine in the communications basket (warning accessories) is not eligible for a further refund.
How to Claim It?
- The way to claim the benefit (which is identical to claiming the communications basket) is detailed below.
- One who already has eligibility approval for communication support services may request a refund right away
- A person must obtain a Communication Support Services Request Formand bring the form to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor.
- The ENT will fill out the relevant part of the form and give a referral required to undergo a hearing test.
- One must undergo the hearing test and upon its completion the audiologist should fill in the relevant details on the request form. The hearing test results that should be submitted with the request must be up to date and no more than 2 years old.
Submitting the Request
- The completed form must be submitted to a Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services office and must include:
- Two passport photos
- If the applicant has documentation from the National Insurance Institute indicating recognition of a hearing impairment, it is recommended to attach it to the application
- The forms are sent to the national communications clinician for an examination of eligibility.
- The social services office will notify the applicant if the request has been approved within 3 months.
Receiving a Reimbursement on the Purchase of a Baby Monitor
- The following documents must be submitted to to the Communications Support Center -, Shmaya:
- Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) including the attachment (sefach) (and the details of the child)
- Original receipt from the purchase of the monitor
- Proof of eligibility approval
- Photocopy of a check
- The documentation may be submitted in one of the following ways:
- By mail to the Communications Support Center -Shmaya; P.O. Box 393, Bnei Brak, 5110301
- By fax to the number
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person to Ben Gurion 38, Ramat Gan (Beit Nach Menachmani) 4th floor
- For more information about Shmaya see their English webpage
- The Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services - Rehabilitation Branch
Laws and Regulations
- Provision 5.7 of the Social Work Regulations: Hearing Communication Services for People with Hearing Impairment - Communication services for the hearing impaired (section 3.3).
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.