New Immigrants (Olim) without housing, are entitled to rental assistance in their first months in Israel as part of the Absorption Basket.
Afterwards, olim are a automatically granted rental assistance from the Ministry of Housing and Construction
For further information see the Website of The Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption and the Government and Information services website
New Immigrants (Olim) without housing, are entitled to rental assistance in their first months in Israel as part of the Absorption Basket given by the Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption.
- After the period of assistance through the absorption basket ends, the olim are a automatically granted rental assistance from the Ministry of Housing and Construction.
- Olim who immigrated to Israel in April 2016 and earlier, receive assistance from the Ministry of Housing and Construction beginning their second year (month 13 from their aliyah date).
- Olim who immigrated in May 2016 and after, receive assistance from the Ministry of Housing and Construction beginning in the 9th month from their aliyah date.
Duration of Assistance
- In general assistance is given until the end of the 5th year from the person's aliyah date.
- Olim who are Single parents are eligible for assistance until the end of the 6th year from their date of aliyah.
- A single person who is serving in the army or in national service and is recognized by the army or Ministry of Absorption as a "lone soldiers" Olim are entitled to rental assistance for the period of time in which they are considered to be lone soldiers.
- Olim who are defined as without housing and are being supported by National Insurance payments, continue to be eligible for rental assistance without a time limitation.
Who is Eligible?
- Olim, holding a valid oleh certificate and who are defined as without housing and who rent an apartment in a rent settlement
- Olim who made aliyah after reaching retirement age or who reached retirement age within their first 10 years after aliyah, are eligible for assistance if they receive an Old Age Pension with an income supplement or if they are Nazi victims with 49% disability and damages of level 1, 2 or 3.
- Assistance is given to those who have reached retirement age even if they live with a family member of the first degree.
- Someone who has reached retirement age and is renting a house in the private market (and not with or from a first degree relative) is eligible for supplemental assistance for living on his/her own.
How to Claim It?
- In the majority of the cases the rental assistance benefit is paid directly into the bank accounts of the recipient.
- The aid is not given automatically to those who reach retirement age after their aliyah or to those olim who request a higher amount of assistance due to low income or living expenses.
- One who does not automatically receive assistance has to obtain a certificate of eligibility to receive assistance from companies providing services for rental assistance seekers.
Level of Assistance
- The extent of the assistance changes based on personal circumstances but does not exceed 95% of the rental price.
- The assistance amount decreases in accordance with seniority in Israel.
- For a chart on the amount of assistance according to family status and amount of time in Israel see the government services and information website.
- Olim who rent apartments in areas of national preference are entitled to additional assistance on top of what they receive as olim.
Laws and Regulations
- Ministry of Construction and Housing Procedure no. 08/04 dated 29.01.2012 - Rent Assitance Procedure
- List of aid organizations for Olim hadashim (new immigrants) which also help on housing matters.
- Original translation provided by The Shira Pransky Project.