Blind and visually impaired individuals who have difficulty integrating into the free market are eligible to work in various sheltered employment factories.
- The work conditions in the factories are suited to each specific disability and the employees receive compensation for their work.
Wages for employees at sheltered places
- Basic wage: Those who work at least 12 hours per month are entitled to a basic wage for the first 5 hours of daily work in the factory. The basic wage is 50% of hourly wage at Hameshakem.* *The basic wage is also paid for the following vacation days:
- Summer break - 7 days off in the summer
- Knesset election day
- Holiday eves - 8 holiday eves per year
- Additional payment: Wages are paid to workers in accordance with the period and value of the work performed.
- Social benefits (for the two components indicated above): This payment constitutes 15.83% of the salary and it includes: vacation pay, sick pay, accident insurance, severance pay, provident fund savings, and National Insurance payments - as determined by the National Insurance Institute.
- The salary, made up of all the components above, must be paid by the 10th of every month.
List of Sheltered Employment Factories
- A list of factories can be found on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website (search for "protected factories").
- Schocken 30, Tel Aviv, 65532, Tel: , Fax: 03-6829174
- Herzl 6, Bat Yam, 59306, Tel: , Fax: 03-5556105,
- Harav Yosef Gamliel, PO Box 257, Gedera 70080, Ted: , Fax: 08-8593377
- Hovot Halevavot 11, Herzliya, 46323, Tel: Click here for more details about the factory in Herzliya , Fax: 09-9586711,
- Hamelacha 26, Holon, Tel: , Fax: 03-5170931
- Harechev 8, Netanya, 42379, Tel: , Fax: 09-8628284
- Gabrielov St., PO Box 1477, Rechovot, 76114, Tel: , Fax: 08-9469555
- Hanarkisim 43, PO Box 2171, Ramat Gan, 52121, Tel: , Fax: 03-7523703
- Sapir Center, Givat Shaul, Jerusalem, Tel: , Fax: 02-6528164
- Harishonim 11, PO Box 249, Ashdod, 77102, Tel: , Fax: 08-8535147
- Remez Street, PO Box 133, Ashkelon, Tel: , Fax: 08-6724821
- "Migdal Or", Haifa, Kiryat Chaim, 26244, Tel: , Fax: 077-7721361
- Bir Neighborhood, PO Box 2165, Umm al-Fahm, 30010, Tel: , Fax: 04-6314996
- Kfar Kara, 30085, Tel:
- Majd al-Krum, 20190, Tel: , Fax: 04-9881126
- Rimon 3a, Nazareth Illit, 17000, Tel: ,
- Yehuda HaNahtom 11, PO Box 3711, Beer Sheva, 84131, Tel: /2, Fax: 08-6239904
- Ashlagan 3, Kiryat Gat, 82000, Tel: 6811472, Fax: 08-6811472
Who is Eligible?
- Individuals age 18 and above who hold a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment and who have difficulty integrating into the free market work force.
How to Claim It?
- Those who are interested should contact the social services office in their place of residence.
Laws and Regulations
- Provision 6.10 of the Social Work Regulations: Sheltered Employment Factory for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Addendum D of Provision 6.10 of the Social Work Regulations: Rates for Places of Sheltered Employment for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Original information regarding the blind and visually impaired was primarily based on the Guide to Rights and Services for the Blind in Israel from the Blind Services Department (Rehabilitation Branch, Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services), and was uploaded to the site with the assistance of Blind Services Department grant recipients, as well as information provided by Bar Ilan University's clinic to provide legal aid to the elderly and Holocaust survivors.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.