In the beginning of every year, the Ministry of Health issues a public appeal to submit requests for new medications and technologies to be included in the healthcare basket.
- The public appeal to submit requests is sent to all institutions, organizations and government bodies on the distribution list for Ministry of Health director circulars, including: hospital administrations, the health plans, the Israeli Medical Association, etc.
- Additionally, patients, patient organizations, commercial businesses and any other entity may submit requests.
- If a medication or technology was not included in the healthcare services basket one year, it does not mean that a request for its inclusion cannot be submitted again the next year (meaning that requests to include the same medication or technology in the basket may be submitted every year, as long as the most up-to-date available information regarding it is submitted with each new request).
Target Audience and Prerequisites
- Any person or institution (public or private) may submit a request.
To Whom and How to Apply
- Generally a request to be included in the Healthcare Basket for the upcoming year must be made by March of the current year
- Requests must be submitted with 3 printed copies and another copy on electronic media to:
- The Division for the Assessment of Technologies in the Healthcare Basket (אגף להערכת טכנולוגיות בסל הבריאות) (Room 309)
- The Health Ministry
- 39 Yirmiyahu St. P.O. Box 1176
- Jerusalem 9101002
Stages of the Process
- A comprehensive file must be filled out with information regarding the technology or medication that is being requested to be included in the healthcare basket:
- For information regarding the file and the information and attachments that are required with a request to include medical technologies in the healthcare services basket,see guidelines to submit a request to include medical technologies in the healthcare basket.
- For information regarding the file and the information and attachments that are required with a request to include medications in the healthcare services basket, see guidelines to submit a request to include medications in the healthcare basket.
- The information file may be submitted in 3 printed copies and an additional electronic copy.
- All materials must be submitted in Hebrew, with original documents and articles in their original language (if the original language is not English or Hebrew, a translation of the original to English must be submitted).
- If a request to include a technology or medication is being re-submitted:
- The information file that was originally submitted must be submitted in 3 printed copies, and the following details must be updated:
- The year the request was first submitted must be indicated on the file.
- Whatever new and updated information that was added to the information previously submitted must be highlighted (a file without the additions highlighted will be returned for corrections).
- The public committee responsible for expansion of the healthcare services basket may be contacted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions and clarifications may be sent to: email@example.com.
- If a medication or technology was not included in the healthcare services basket one year, it does not mean that a request for its inclusion cannot be submitted again the next year.
- Prioritization regarding the inclusion of medications in the healthcare basket is performed according to criteria established by the Healthcare Basket Committee (a public committee comprised of specialists and experts from various fields), which is responsible for providing recommendations regarding expansion of the healthcare basket to the government.
Laws and Regulations
- Circular of the Ministry of Health Director from 24.01.17 - Public Appeal for Suggestions of additions to be included in the 2018 Healthcare Basket]
- Guidelines to submit a request to include medical technologies in the healthcare basket.
- Guidelines to submit a request to include medications in the healthcare basket.
- Original information provided by the College of Management's Mazor Clinical Center - Providing Legal Advice Regarding Patients Rights in Israel.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.