Communications clinicians provide various therapy services at special Ministry of Education centers for children with hearing impairment.
Who is Eligible?
- Children with hearing impairment.
Assistance and Therapy Services Provided
- A speech-language diagnosis is conducted in order to obtain as precise an assessment as possible of the child with regard to hearing, communication, language and speech, and to build a therapy plan.
Communication Therapy Services
- Communication therapy services are provided according to the personal needs of each child with hearing impairment.
- The therapy is based on an overall assessment of the child's speech-language abilities, including:
- Auditory capacity and functioning
- Assessment of the hearing devices being used and their suitability
- Comprehensive assessment of linguistic functioning
- Clarity of speech and a comprehensive examination of speech production
- Communication therapy services are provided individually and/or in groups according to the relevant needs.
- Audiologic training given to the child and parents includes a detailed explanation of hearing test results, the ramifications of hearing loss on daily functioning, as well as a proposed rehabilitation plan for the child.
Individual Advising on the Use of a Personal Amplification System
- Essential information regarding the most accessible and advanced devices as it relates to the child's current level of hearing loss is provided to the child and parents.
- Advice is also given regarding making the learning environment acoustically accessible for the child.
Borrowing Hearing Devices and F.M. Systems
- Hearing devices may be borrowed by children requiring them for various reasons such as: the loss of a personal hearing device; needing a temporary device while the child's normal device is being repaired; etc.
- For a list of organizations that offer assistance to the deaf and hearing impaired click here.
- Original information based on the Healthcare Rights Booklet for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired published by the Mazor Clinical Center - Providing Legal Advice Regarding Patients Rights in Israel.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.