Cancer Patients and patients with vascular disorders that require certain surgeries (that are no performed as part of an emergency treatment) are entitled to have the surgery performed within a fixed amount of time when doing the surgery was decided upon.
Who is Eligible?
- Surgery for Cancer Patients that are connected to the cancer must be performed within 30 days from when the Kupat Cholim became aware that the surgery was needed; and after the pre-surgical procedures or diagnosis have been done.
Patients with Vascular Diseases
- Certain surgeries for patients with vascular disease must be performed within 21 days from when the Kupat Cholim became aware that the surgery was needed; and after the pre-surgical procedures or diagnosis have been done. This refers to the following surgeries:
- Closure of a cerebral aneurysm by invasive neurology through catheterization, including the use of a stents and coils.
- Support or implant for the aorta in the chest.
- Treatment of an aortic aneurysm by means of a stent.
- Catheterization of a cordless / dialysis implant / with stent insertion, in an ambulatory framework (outpatient).
- The creation of arteries for dialysis without / with an artificial implant, as an inpatient.
- The creation of arteries for dialysis without / with an artificial implant, in an ambulatory framework (without hospitalization).
How to Claim It?
- This right is given automatically.
- If the Kupat Cholim can not provide the surgery in the time frames listed above, you should turn to the arrangements department of the health plan to schedule an appointment. For more information see Turning to the arrangements department to schedule a surgery.
- In special cases where the complexity of the treatment and the clinical condition of the patient require advancing or postponing of the operation, the date of the surgery will be determined accordingly.
- These waiting periods do not apply to surgeries that are performed in emergency medical situations.
Laws and Regulations
- Ministry of Health Director circular no. 9/2018 from 28.03.2018 - waiting times for surgeries and procedures in the hospital
- The National Health Insurance Law
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.