Families that have one or more members with a hearing impairment are entitled to a tax refund for the purchase of a portable/stationary fax machine or fax modem once every five years.
Who is Eligible?
- Those meeting both of the following conditions:
- Age 16 and older
- Have hearing loss of at least 50 dB in the better ear
- One who received a refund for the purchase of a fax machine in the communications basket is not eligible for a further refund.
How to Claim It?
- The person first needs to have approved eligibility for communication support services
- After the approval one can request a refund for the purchase of a fax machine (there are no retroactive refunds for the period before the person requested eligibility approval).
- A person must obtain a Communication Support Services Request Formand bring the form to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor.
- The ENT will fill out the relevant part of the form and give a referral for a hearing test.
- One must undergo the hearing test and upon its completion the audiologist should fill in the relevant details on the request form. The hearing test results that should be submitted with the request must be up to date and no more than 2 years old.
Submitting the Request
- The completed form should be submitted to a Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services office and must include:
- Two passport photos
- If the applicant has documentation from the National Insurance Institute indicating recognition of a hearing impairment, it is recommended to attach it to the application
- The forms are sent to the national communications clinician for an examination of eligibility.
- The social services office will notify the applicant if the request has been approved within 3 months.
- One has the option to request a re-examination of the decision of the national communications clinician, provided that there is new data or new circumstances that could change the decision.
- One may request a re-examination within 6 months from when the initial decision was given. In certain situations, the national communications clinician can make exceptions to this time frame.
- A re-examination request requires that all of the documentation detailed above be filled out again.
- Similarly, the national communications clinician, reserves the right to initiate a re-examination, or request more information or tests of anyone who has already been approved for eligibility.
- One who wants to appeal the decision given to him, may submit an appeal (objection) to the supreme professional committee of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services' Rehabilitation Branch.
- The appeal (objection) should be submitted on the Appeals Form to the Supreme Professional Committee for the Provision of Communication Support Services (addendum B in the social work regulations).
- The forms and relevant documents should be sent to:
The hearing impaired division in the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services -Rehabilitation Branch, Yirmiyahu 39, Migdalei HaBira, Jerusalem
- The appellant should get a message and an invitation to a hearing within 15 days of when his appeal was received.
- The hearing in front of the committee shall take place within 45 days from when the appeal was received. The hearing should be recorded in a protocol.
- The central committee may request that documents relevant to the appeal be presented to it.
- The committee's decision regarding the appeal must be given within 30 days after the hearing.
- A message regarding the committee's decision about the appeal along with its explanation must be sent to the appellant within 10 days of his receiving of the decision.
Receiving a Reimbursement on the Purchase of a Fax Machine
- The following documents must be submitted to to the Communications Support Center -, Shmaya:
- Original receipt from the purchase of the device in the name of the eligible recipient (it is recommended to photocopy all receipts to keep a copy for personal records)
- A copy of a telephone bill under the name of the person purchasing the device
- Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) including the attachment (sefach)
- The documentation may be submitted in one of the following ways:
- By mail to the Communications Support Center -Shmaya; P.O. Box 393, Bnei Brak, 5110301
- By fax to the number
- By email to email@example.com
- In person to Ben Gurion 38, Ramat Gan (Beit Nach Menachmani) 4th floor
- For more information about Shmaya see their English webpage
- The reimbursement will be provided within 6 months of submitting the receipt(s) to Shmaya.
- The Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services - Rehabilitation Branch
Laws and Regulations
- Provision 5.7 of the Social Work Regulations: Hearing Communication Services for People with Hearing Impairment - Communication services for the hearing impaired (section 3.2).
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.