A voter who is unable to carry out the practical actions involved in voting because of his disabilities may bring a companion with him to help him vote.
Who is Eligible?
- Any voter that suffers from a disability or ailment that prevents him from being able to vote on his own in the voting booth.
- The companion must meet 2 conditions:
- He is not an administrator or worker in a nursing home or any other institution that the voter lives in.
- He does not accompany more than 2 votes on election day.
How to Claim It?
- The voting committee secretary has the exclusive authority to decide whether a voter is entitled to have a companion and whether the companion meets the required conditions.
- The voter's companion must present identification.
- The companion's details will be recorded in the list of voters' companions in the voting committee's protocol.
- After the companion is approved and his details recorded, the voter and companion can enter the ballot box and continue the regular voting process.
- A nursing care worker with a foreign passport can accompany a voter but he is required to show a picture ID, such as a passport.
- A child under age 16 can accompany a voter but he is require to show a picture ID, such as a passport or the parent's teudat zehut.
- Members of the voting committee, its secretary and its observers can not be companions.
- The voting committee secretary makes the decision regarding whether or not a voter is permitted to bring a companion.
- The companion is required to vote at the polling station that he is registered with that appears on the voter's message card.
- The Ministry of the Interior
- The Central Knesset Elections Committee
- List of Government Agencies that Assist the Elderly
Laws and Regulations
- Instructions for Voting Committee Members on the Central Knesset Elections Committee website
- "Zarkur" - Elections in Israel - In Preparation for the 21st Knesset Elections on the Central Knesset Election Committee website
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.